Tomcat memory leaks

Forside Forum Developer discussions Tomcat memory leaks

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    yguerin
    Participant

Dear,

When I stop or undeploy the opentele2-server I get some memory leak:

Apr 19, 2017 8:34:53 AM org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader clearReferencesThreads
    SEVERE: The web application [/opentele-server4] appears to have started a thread named [Thread-3] but has failed to stop it. This is very likely to create a memory leak.
    Apr 19, 2017 8:34:53 AM org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader checkThreadLocalMapForLeaks
    SEVERE: The web application [/opentele-server4] created a ThreadLocal with key of type [org.codehaus.groovy.grails.orm.hibernate.support.HibernatePersistenceContextInterceptor$1] (value [org.codehaus.groovy.grails.orm.hibernate.support.HibernatePersistenceContextInterceptor$1@c32602]) and a value of type [java.util.HashMap] (value [{DEFAULT=false}]) but failed to remove it when the web application was stopped. Threads are going to be renewed over time to try and avoid a probable memory leak.

Any hints about this and to avoid ?

Running system: Solaris 10, tomcat7, Oracle JDK7

Regards,

Yves

Michael
    Keymaster

I have forwardet your question to a couple of developers that may know. In the meantime it would be great if you would file the issue at https://issuetracker4s.atlassian.net/projects/OT/issues. And please let us know if you yourself have any further findings on this issue.

Regards,
    Michael

mikek
    Participant

Hi Yves,

I assume you are seeing this when shutting the server down? It is unfortunately how the server has behaved for a very long time – I don’t know if anyone has ever looked into the reason behind it. But while no-one want to see errors about memory leaks, I believe it doesn’t affect the running system.

If you happen to find the reason behind it I would love to hear about it.

^__^
    Mike

yguerin
    Participant

Dear Mike,

Yes, I saw this when I stop the Opentele2-server, same thing when I undeployed it. I did some tests:
    – stop the tomcat7 server, wait for few minutes, in fact until the memory come back to this normal usage level, start the tomcat7 server, wait few minutes (the tomcat7 server takes around 4 seconds to start), deploy the opentele2-server war, login into the web interface, nothing wrong until I stop the opentele2-server.
    – try the same thing on Ubuntu 14.04 with tomcat7 and I got the same errors.

Unfortunatly, I hate to see error on my log files, “warnings” I am able to live with but errors drive me crazy.

So I will check with psi-probe. May be I have to give more power to my Solaris zone (more memory and cpu)

Thank you for your help.

Stay tune 🙂

Regards,

Yves

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.